Secure Your iPhone With a Passcode
The better your phone’s security is, the harder it will be for someone to access your device and the data it contains—from credit card numbers to text messages and emails.
Your iPhone makes it easy to keep your personal information safe and secure. Just create a four or six-digit passcode, or set up facial and fingerprint recognition features like Face ID and Touch ID. Here’s how:
Set Up a Passcode
- Open Settings > Touch ID and Passcode. If your iPhone doesn’t have Touch ID, tap Passcode or Face ID and Passcode.
- Tap Turn Passcode On, enter a six-digit passcode, and then enter it once more for confirmation.
Set Up Touch ID
If you have an iPhone 8 or older device, you can use Touch ID to lock and unlock your it with your fingerprint.
- Open Settings > Touch ID and Passcode.
- Enter your passcode and tap Add a Fingerprint to set up Touch ID.
- Place your finger on the Home button, then lift and rest your finger repeatedly to create a personalized Touch ID. You can add up to five fingerprints from different people.
Set Up Face ID
If you have an iPhone X or a newer device, you can lock and unlock your phone just by looking at it.
- Open Settings > Face ID & Passcode.
- Tap Set Up Face ID.
- Hold your phone in front of your face and tap Get Started.
- Follow the steps to finish setting it up.