Secure the Lock Screen on Your Android Phone
When it comes to protecting your phone and all of the personal information it holds, locking your screen is the first line of defense. Just how secure you make it—and how tricky to unlock—is up to you, but it’s always a good idea to go ahead and protect your device this way.
How to Lock the Screen on Your Phone
- Open Settings > Lock screen and security > Screen lock type.
- Choose an option from the list:
- Swipe offers no security. Simply swipe the screen to unlock your phone.
- Pattern offers medium security. Draw your Pattern to unlock your device.
- PIN provides medium to high security. Set a PIN number with at least four digits.
- Password provides the highest security and must include at least four characters and one letter.
For even better security (and a little more convenient), you can use your face, your eyes, or your fingerprint to unlock your phone. Scroll down to the “Biometrics” section and choose an option:
- Face Recognition
- Iris Scanner
- Fingerprint Scanner
And if you want to keep your phone even more secure, try changing the lock on your screen every six months. Just make sure you don’t lock yourself out.