How to Manage Your App Notifications
Notifications are a vital part of the smartphone ecosystem. They tell us when someone likes our photos on Instagram or when we receive an email; they let us know when there’s a breaking news alert or our delivery order is on its way. Notifications are great — but they can also get out of hand. Luckily, it only takes a few moments to get all those banners flashing on our screen under control.
- Tap Settings > Notifications.
- From this screen, you can control how your phone delivers notifications with Show Previews, as well as customize how every app you have installed sends notifications and where they appear.
- Lock Screen: This gives you notifications when your phone is locked.
- Notification Center: This places a notification in the timeline you can access by dragging down from the top of the screen.
- Banners: This presents a notification as a banner while you’re using another app.
- Banner Style: You can decide if you want those banners to be Temporary or Persistent.
- Sounds: Turn this on if you want the app notification to make a noise when you get it.
- Badges: When Badges is on, it creates a red dot over the app that has a new notification for you.
- At the bottom of this page, you can also turn on or off AMBER and Emergency Alerts. It’s probably a good idea to keep them on, but you have the option if you choose otherwise.
And that’s it. You should make it a habit of periodically checking how you receive notifications — especially now that you can enjoy your phone without being bombarded with reminders from Facebook about birthdays and events.