How Do I Backup iPhone Photos Using Google Photos?
As chips and processors get smaller and faster, our phones are gaining more and more storage space. But the reality is that all that data — apps, videos, images, music — takes up a lot of real estate. Cloud storage helps solve this problem, and when it comes to photos and videos one of the best bets is Google Photos.
Google Photos organizes your photos and backs them up securely in the cloud. This makes them accessible from any device — phone, tablet, or computer —, and if you ever move to a new phone, your photos and videos will automatically come along with you. Not only does this free up space on your device, it gives you some peace of mind that all those important photos are safe and sound.
Here’s how to get started using Google Photos.
Back up and Sync Your Photos
If you haven’t already, download the Google Photos app. Once installed, make sure your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network and near a power source — this process can chew up both data and battery
- Open the Google Photos app and sign in or create a new account.
- Tap the Menu icon in the top-left corner, then tap the Gear icon, and then tap Back up & sync.
- Turn on Back up & sync by tapping the switch on the right.
- This will give you a bunch of new options. Tap Upload size to select the quality of the backed up photos. High quality compresses the images to a lower resolution than the original file, but they’re still going to be good enough for most uses. (Saving at High quality also has the added benefit of coming with free unlimited storage.) Original saves the images at their full resolution. This choice connects your Google Photos backup with your Google Drive storage, which limits how many images you can store.
- You can also choose when to backup your photos. The default option is for Google Photos to sync over Wi-Fi. But if you want the app to use cellular data to do that work, tap the switches next to Use cellular data to back up photos and/or Use cellular data to back up videos.
- Your selections save automatically. Tap the back arrow in the top left corner twice to get back to the main menu.
- Tap the Assistant icon at the bottom of the screen to track the progress of your photos getting backed up.
- Tap the Photos icon at the bottom of your screen to view your gallery.
And you’re done. You can access your photo collection from your tablet by signing into the Google Photos app, or from your web browser by signing into Google Photos. But you can enjoy knowing your photos and videos are safely backed up and accessible everywhere!