What To Do If You Lose Your iPhone
The next time your phone goes missing, don’t panic. Use Find My iPhone to lock and locate your device. Best case scenario: you get your phone back! Either way, you can rest easy knowing your personal information is safe.
Make Sure Find My iPhone is Enabled
We recommend keeping Find My iPhone and Send Last Location enabled all the time. Even if your phone is turned off or your battery dies, you can still access your phone’s last location.
- Tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Find My iPhone.
- Make sure you have Find My iPhone and Send Last Location enabled.
Two Ways to Access the Find iPhone App:
- Sign in to iCloud.com and click Find iPhone.
- Open the Find iPhone app on another iOS device and sign in with your Apple ID.
Locate Your Device
Find My iPhone shows your phone’s location on a map. Hopefully it’s right where you left it! If you enabled Send Last Location and your phone battery dies or the device is turned off, you can see its last location:
- Sign in to Find My iPhone on a different device.
- Tap the device you want to locate. Its last known location will be shown on the map.
- Tap Notify When Found to receive an email when your phone comes back online.
Play a Sound
No need to take the cushions off the couch. Tap Play Sound to make your phone vibrate and sound an alarm for two minutes.
Turn On Lost Mode
Lost Mode locks your phone and disables notifications and Apple Pay. Display a custom message on the Lock screen, so if someone finds your phone, they’ll know how to contact you.
Erase Your Phone
Erase Phone deletes everything from your phone and resets it to factory settings. Only do this if you know you can’t get it back. Then, file a claim to get a new phone.
Who knew one app could do so much? We still don’t recommend leaving your phone lying around, but now you know how to find and secure it.